Thursday, July 12, 2012

garden delights

Wednesday was a GOOD day in the garden!  An unexpected surprise and an anticipated joy both came to pass:

-Surprise!  I have adorable eggplants.
I had purchased 2 eggplant plants from a nursery in the late spring.  I know very little about eggplant varieties and just knew that my husband does not like the "typical" type but has enjoyed the long, what I often hear called "Asian," eggplants that we had at various meals in (appropriately) China.  I picked out two plants that had pictures of long, thin purple or white fruits and plunked them in the ground.  The other day I noticed that they both had the teeniest little oblong fruits forming.  Baby eggplants in full color!  How cute!!  I was excited they'd be on their way to my table in the coming weeks.

But then...yesterday through a strange series of events I realized that...they're both SUPPOSED to be only teeny tiny!  I had purchased Fairy Tale and Gretel varieties, and both of these are bred to make fruits that are best around 3" long.  I quickly ran out to the garden and picked them all off before they got too big!

The bad news that I will still not have the long eggplants I was aiming for is reconciled by the fact that I have lots of the cutest eggplants ever!!!

-Joy!  The blackberries are here!!!
Husband and I have been waiting...and waiting...and waiting for the many, many wild blackberry canes around our property to bear and ripen.  Yesterday after nabbing my babies, I ventured to take a peek at the blackberries, and...THEY WERE READY!!  A few, at least.  And thus begins the blackberry season.  I need to make sure I wear some heavy, long clothes.  Those canes really like to grab on!

Look for these ingredients coming up soon-ish.  I don't have an exact plan for either yet.

No comments: