Tuesday, July 03, 2012

cleanup challenge scoring

The first 3 days of July, and eating-from-the-stash is going well.  There's a LOT of food, though...this may be more than a 1-month deal.

I am taking great pride in using up the following types of foods:
*stuff that's been around forever (i.e. since 2010 or older)
*stuff from the freezer
*leftovers (usually just a day or 2 old, but they can really mess around with my meal planning...plus they add MORE to the inventory!)

I've been collecting recipes to help me use up the wide range of items I've got, and I get a thrill when I find a recipe that has multiple of these "special" foods.  What, you can combine my sweetened condensed milk with those ancient butterscotch chips?  SWEET!  And...as good as whatever that would make sounds like it would taste, I probably ought to not eat it all, so...I can give it away to people who want to eat sweets??  Even better!  I can use up multiple ingredients AND not need to eat it!  Score.

And with that concept - SCORE - I've been thinking of creating a scoring system for this Cleanup Challenge.  Here's what I've got:

1.  Each item that gets entirely used up earns 1 point; if it's a leftover from a previously-prepared meal, it earns just half a point.
2.  Each item from the CSA that gets entirely used or frozen before the arrival of next week's CSA earns 1 point.  If it gets entirely used, earn 1 bonus point.
3.  Use of any (reasonable) quantity of a ForeverFood (before 2011) earns 1 point (like...1 pine nut would not count, but why would I want to eat only 1 pine nut?).
4.  Use of any (reasonable) quantity of an item from my own garden earns half a point.
5.  Using multiple ForeverFoods in a recipe earns 1 bonus point for every "multiple" there is (i.e. if a recipe uses 2 FF's, I get 2 points for the FF's plus 1 bonus; if it uses 4 FF's, I get 4 points for the F's plus 3 bonus points).
6.  Implementation of a new recipe that utilizes any item earns 1 point.

So, let's see how that's working so far:

July 1:

Breakfast:
-Wheat Montana 7-grain cereal
-fresh raspberries
-almond milk
-maple syrup
-Cafe Francais coffee drink
-kale +0.5 (#4)
-banana

Lunch: lots of leftovers from Saturday's meals
-Indian food +0.5 (#1)
-chicken & chickpeas & zucchini curry
-brown rice

Dinner:
-meatballs +1 (#1...technically it cleared out space in the freezer, even though there were leftovers)
-couscous
-apple
-butter
-green onions
-carrots
-orange juice
-mint +0.5 (#4)
-cucumber
-red onion

Total July 1:  2.5 points
__________________________________________________________________
July 2:
I had some bloodwork done in the morning, so I didn't have breakfast at home...it was a fasting blood-draw. I just found some coupons for Dunkin Donuts, too...and it was just a short walk from the clinic...so after I had my blood taken I went and bought some breakfast. But I still managed to work in several ingredients that I want to get rid of:

Breakfast:
-kale
-frozen banana

Lunch:
-apple
-orange
-spanakopita that's been hanging out in the fridge for too long... +0.5 (#1)
-cucumbers & red onion +0.5 (#1)
-new potatoes & carrot-top pesto +0.5 (#1)

Snacks (um...I had a lot of these today...!):
-matzoh
-trail mix
-peanut butter cookies
-yogurt
-ice cream
-chocolate sprinkles
-chocolate-covered coffee beans +1 (#1)

Dinner:
-corn on the cob
-leftover garden salsa
-spinach
-leftover BBQ chicken
-mushrooms
-zucchini
-red onion

Baking:
I prepped some muffins for the husband's breakfasts!  Unfortunately, I have made this recipe several times, so no new-recipe point!  But they're GOOD muffins!!
-fresh raspberries
-cornmeal
-all-purpose flour
-buttermilk powder +1 (#3)
-orange juice
-baking powder
-baking soda
-salt
-egg
-butter

Total July 2:  3.5 points
Running total:  6 points

No comments: