Monday, June 05, 2006

i'm going to amsterdam!

Superb news arrived in late May: I received a travel grant to attend the AIDS Vaccine 2006 scientific meeting in Amsterdam, Holland!!

Being a descendent of Dutch people, I have always wanted to visit the Netherlands, and I was hoping to get the opportunity to go to this meeting on a travel grant. Getting a travel grant is always nice for one's curriculum vitae, but it's always wonderful for the professor for whom one works who would otherwise probably pay the way for his or her student to attend the meeting. Thus, I am happy that I have saved Dr. Gupta, my boss, money!

In addition to presenting a poster about my research at this conference and attempting to sneak out and see some of the city and country, I am looking forward to a whirlwind tour of some eastern European countries. My co-worker Lori and I are going to join up with a Cosmos tour in Munich, Germany. We will then motor around with a group of travelers to visit Prague, Vienna, and Budapest. I've heard marvelous things about Prague and Vienna and know absolutely nothing about Budapest, so I'm ready for an informative adventure.

Now, all I've got to do between now and when I leave on August 20 is...
  • pack!
  • learn Dutch
  • find some books about the places I'm going
  • save some money
  • find someone to feed Sheamus while I'm gone...

5 comments:

Yi said...

Wow, Ruth, good for you :) I am so jealous, make sure you take a lot of pictures and put them on your blog to share with us! Have a lot of fun, and good luck learning Dutch :)

Anonymous said...

ouuuuuuuuu sounds so fun! Will you send me a postcard?

Anonymous said...

That is incredibly cool!!!!! What a great opportunity. I'm going to try calling you tomorrow. I wanted to call earlier but between moving, not moving and moving again and searching for jobs I've kind of lost track of time, space and place! : )

Anonymous said...

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! good job, Ruthie!!!!!

Here's some essential Dutch for you. . .waar is de badkamers?

Lucky for you, Dutch is a Germanic language, just like English. So it shouldn't be too hard.

ruth said...

I'll send you a postcard if you tell me where you'll be!