Thursday, June 15, 2006

and the world marches on

There are many things changing in my world right now, and many things that are making me feel old.

I will be moving in a few weeks to a new apartment in a new neighborhood on a new bus route.

I've been visiting a new church, meeting new people, and planning to go to a new Bible study this evening.

I have been trying to get several new techniques working in the lab, and they work and then they don't and then they do - nothing is constant, it's all about doing and redoing and tinkering around.

The "new" (end of second year) students are in the middle of comprehensive examination time, which, aside from defending one's thesis, is probably the least enjoyable period of graduate school because you can potentially be tested during your oral exam on every detail about everything you might have been taught. And, the day has finally arrived when I'm an "old" graduate student and the younger ones are calling upon me to help them prepare by acting like a tough professor. It's an honor and a privilege, and I hope I can meet expectations.

No comments: