Friday, January 13, 2006

product review: waterproof bandages

How boring can you get, Ruth??? Reviewing hair-care products is one thing, but BANDAGES!!!?!?

I know, I know - it's lame. But I REALLY like these bandages!! Nexcare's waterproof bandages come in a variety of sizes and work amazingly. When they say waterproof, they mean waterproof!

I chanced upon these guys when I got one of the many stupid little injuries that often occur to me around the house. It always happens on my fingers, and that's the worst body part to try to keep a bandage on. I was running around the house trying to find where I had put my own box of bandages, and Michelle offered some of hers, which are always located in the same spot (what a novel idea...). I popped on one of the waterproof guys, and it was awesome. There's an adhesive seal around the absorbant pad, so I could fully cover the little cut and still have flexibility of my finger - and I could tell that nothing would creep under the bandage and infect my cut. Not only could no dirt get in there, but when I washed my hands later on, neither could any water! I was sold.

These little bandages are astounding - they cover up exactly what needs covering, they flexibly seal flat against the skin (even on joints!), the extra part is completely clear so you don't have to go walking around with a huge brown thing stuck to your skin, and they stay on through hand washing, through showers, through hockey practice. I don't know if this is a very good idea, but they can withstand several days of being on without coming off or needing to be replaced. Plus, when you're ready to take them off, the adhesive isn't that completely painful sort that rips off all your arm hair.

I must admit that I'm not experienced in other brands of waterproof bandages, as normally my bandages come directly from the dollar store (and they don't carry such fancy items), so perhaps a store brand would be equally impressive. However, when I last checked on bandages, the store brand's waterproof bandages didn't appear to have quite the sealable surface area as Nexcare's, and the price for the Nexcare ones was only about 40 cents more. So...maybe 40 cents is a big deal. You can buy a whole on-sale candy bar for 40 cents... Perhaps the next time I'm at the store and need to buy bandages I'll try out the store brand and buy myself a candy bar.

No comments: