Tuesday, January 24, 2006

knitting - in the bag, in the mail, and on the web

...And, just out of the wonderful red knitting bag is...
wouldn't hermione be happy?
It's the Hermione cable and bobble hat! I just cast it off the needles. I need to weave in a few ends, sew up the brim, block it, probably line it with some sort of fabric, and eventually add some ear flaps. But...for now it's "done!" Being critical, I'm not too happy with how it knit up - I mean, it's great, the cables and stuff look nice, but perhaps this yarn wasn't quite right to use - there's little holes because the stitches aren't close enough. Thus the lining. But it looks good...! I am happy with the pattern, and with some lining, the hat will be nice and toasty warm.

It turns out that the Hermione hat is very vogue right now. Not just this particular pattern, but cables and bobbles themselves. How do I know? Well, I picked up the latest issue of Vogue Knitting, and there were cables and bobbles all over the place. I have to say that I am very impressed with this VK issue. I'm not always very crazy about their patterns, probably because I'm more of a "classic" person than a "vogue" person. Anything that looks like it was made in the 1950's is my kind of thing (for example...take a gander at the sweet sweaters in the movie "Liberty Heights," which I saw not too long ago. It's not that bad of a movie, either.). I don't ever rush out to buy the new VK. But, I really liked at least 80% of the items in this issue. So I bought it. From the store. That's NOT the knitting in the mail.

The ITM knitting arrived yesterday...! It was the prize from the holiday knitalong - some Rowan Kid Silk Haze to make a lovely scarf pattern, which was included. I even like the scarf pattern (scarves are growing on me...)! I'm not sure when I'll sit down with this new, great yarn, but I certainly like it. I was so excited! THANKS, Alison and Stephanie!!!

And...finally, once again thanks to Alison - she set up the third (annual? I think - I didn't know about it until last fall) "Sockapalooza" - so it's sockapalOOOza. I get to knit some more socks for somebody!! Yay!!! I am really looking forward to it, and I hope I can find a nice pattern that my secret pal likes...not just me. Hip, hip, hooray for online knitty-folk!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

It's a great hat. I'm looking forward to Sockapaloooza, too ... although a wee bit nervous.