Saturday, August 27, 2005

the power of suggestion and a bunch of changes

I finished reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on Monday or so this week, and I picked up the 3rd book but only read the first chapter so far. Going to try to slow it down a little bit, though I certainly would like to read through the end of book 4 by the time the new movie comes out.

I really like the character Dumbledore, even better in the books than in the movies. I adore how he is always wandering around at night en route to get hot chocolate and how when disaster strikes in the middle of the night, he solves it and then suggests that everyone go have a nice hot cup of hot cocoa and go to bed. Hot chocolate seems to keep coming up in these books, and I have to say that I wanted nothing more for several nights than to sit with a mug of hot chocolate. On Wednesday I decided to make some - REAL hot cocoa from the stove top with sugar, cocoa, milk, and a dash of vanilla. Mmmmm. (Although honestly I like hot cocoa powder a lot better...I need to mess with the stove-top recipe because it's too sweet or something for my taste.) It was so nice to hold my mug of piping hot cocoa and slowly sip it...

Friday night I watched the Chamber of Secrets DVD, taking some note of the knitted and crocheted garments worn in the movie. Incidentally, I was knitting while watching it, so I didn't quite give the movie my full attention. Perhaps I'll need to remedy that soon. I must admit, however, that I'm less motivated to watch movies where I really care what's happening on the screen when I have to watch them on the t.v. at my house. It's so small, I can't see much. I know - stop complaining and buy a new t.v. Like I'm made of money.

Lots of things are "new" around here. The new room at work is basically all done - I hooked up my laptop to the internet in there this week and did some work from my new desk. Hooray!! A few finishing touches and a little bit of adjusting and we'll be up and running.

Today I helped my friends Karen and Craig (married) move into their newly purchased (closed on Friday!) home, in which another friend, Jason, is also living (and thus is also currently moving). I don't know what it is, but I LOVE doing stuff like this - real, actual, tangible work. (See my post about Habijax.) I had a great time, and it helped that the weather was cooler, although a tad drizzly, but not for very long. I and a small army of others successfully moved all the furniture into the new house, which was quite a feat. We're a little worried - Karen and Craig's cat seems to be missing -- escaped through a door while we moved things in and out??? I'm hoping not. Could be just scared out of her mind at all the big things entering the new house via a multitude of strangers.

And yes, when I arrived home tonight after the moving there were new shower doors in the bathroom. However, as anticipated, only in the one bathroom because they won't fit in the other one. I have to admit, I sort of like them. :-) They don't exactly work quite right, but it's nothing that a few creative people like my roommate and myself can't figure out. The issue is that the doors either aren't hung level or are just messed up and they won't stay closed at one end (obviously a problem when one is taking a shower and hoping to use the doors to keep water from escaping the shower area). We're going to attempt affixing some magnets to the ends of the doors and see if we can't encourage them to stay closed when asked.

No comments: