Thursday, August 18, 2005

construction

The construction of two new places I will frequent is almost complete!

First, the new knitting store. I keep looking out the bus window at it and seeing skeins and skeins of yarn building up inside, as well as very comfy-looking sofas and nice-looking people who are putting the yarn in cubbies. I want to try to walk by it and gaze into the windows today after work - maybe even meet the people if they're still there by the time I get out of the lab. I'll get off the bus a stop or two early.

Second is the new room for the lab. Last week marked the successful installation of internet ports (er...I guess I never checked if they actually work...but still), a telephone, a door, and a lock. The lab was finished! I moved a few things into the new place on Friday before I left for the hockey tournament. Tuesday when I came back white stuff was all over the bench top near where I had put a hot plate. I looked up, and lo and behold - the ceiling was crumbling in large chunks. So I called Facilities Management, and they have now come and put plastic over everything in the room (including my desk...which is a little not so great) and have ripped more of the ceiling apart in an effort to determine what is wrong. Well, they did all that on Tuesday, and they haven't been back that I've noticed, so who knows how long the room will be plasticized. I have noticed that another empty room down the hall, which does not belong to my lab, also has paint falling from the ceiling. When the people come back to work on the ceiling again, I think I'll point that out to them. So much for the room being done... Boo.

No comments: