Wednesday, August 10, 2005

a new thing to do on the bus

Oh yes... I thought about starting a new take-along project for the bus rides to and from work. I had originally considered something that I was thinking of making for some friends who are getting married soon, but then I decided I didn't know if I really wanted to put forth the effort when I didn't know if they really wanted a knitted project from me. Then I considered that dratted Aran sweater again, but it sounded too daunting for the time being. I also tossed around the idea of learning to crochet and using the tons of leftover cotton yarn from the shrug to make a few dishclothes for said getting-married friends. But then I borrowed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone from my roommate, and that is my new bus project.

I have watched all 3 Harry Potter movies and liked them a lot. Charming, fun, funny, suspenseful but not enough to make me scared - they also require thought because there's always a complicated mystery involved. I had never read the books before. Not being one who likes to jump on the bandwagon with all the fads that come along, I never picked up the books. I don't know what made me change my mind now, but I did. Thought it might be nice to actually read something, and those books seemed like they'd be enjoyable since everyone I know who had read them couldn't put them down, and even if they were boring I'd still stay intrigued because I knew what was going to happen (from the movie) and would want to read until I got to a familiar part from the movie (this is how I got through the Lord of the Rings series, which I am terribly regretful to say were...not outstandingly gripping to me). I'm in the midst of the Sorting Hat chapter, and I rather wish I had not watched the movies now, because it's actually getting boring reading without needing my imagination. Thus, motivation to read through the 4th book before that movie comes out...! Funny how that works.

No comments: