Friday, August 19, 2005

in his blood

AMAZING! The new room for the lab is done. All the plastic has been removed and the ceiling is back to normal. I moved a bunch of my desk things back into the new lab, trusting that the ceiling will not fall down again. The internet I think works, but I need to get an IP address for my computer before it will work with my computer. Perhaps on Monday all will be okay.

So what was wrong with the ceiling? Why did it look like it would take forever yesterday and then today it's all done? Well, the problem was not a leak in a pipe as the engineers I heard talking suggested it was. Turns out, according the the painter, that when the ceiling had been finished before, it hadn't been painted correctly. There was condensation between one layer of the ceiling and the paint, and when that got built up too much, the paint said adios and started coming off. He assured me that he was a much better painter than that and that his paint job would NOT come falling to the floor. Hooray!

I had become really impressed with the painter over the past couple of days. He also painted the door to the room, which has a window in the middle of it. Without using tape or anything to prevent the paint from gooshing onto the window or other parts that shouldn't get painted, he put on layer after layer of perfect "inside the lines" paint! From my few days of painting for Habijax, I learned that it is possible to do this but is a bit tricky. I commented about the painter's skill to him, and he just grinned and said it came naturally to him. "It's in my blood," he told me. Turns out, he is and artistic painter, too. I guess I never thought about hte fact that DaVinci and Michelangelo, etc. didn't have lines to paint within, and their paintings don't have big paint blobs where there shouldn't be paint. Hm. Wow. Painting is certainly not in my blood.

No comments: