Wednesday, August 10, 2005

new room

Before I begin, I want to say that for anyone who's watching, I did NOT just amazingly speed through the Fair Isle cardigan - I simply realized that I had forgotten to take into account that I've already knit up to the armscyes on the body portion and was only counting the 5ish rows I've done on the sleeves. Oops. Makes me feel better, though.

Onto the news of the day...

Here at work my lab has been granted 2 new rooms which were "recently" (like...in January it seems like) vacated by a different lab. One room will go to my coworker Ming, and another will be used by my sort-of-supervisor Yue Chen, my coworker Lori, and myself. Renovations have been going on in these two rooms for quite some time, and we're anxious to move into the new place but must wait for all the renovations to be completed. We'd peek into the rooms every day, and often several times every day, to check on the progress. In the middle of July the rooms were pretty much complete. The new counters and shelves had been installed, and the desks we had reserved for the rooms (including my new desk - new to me, at least - which has a lot of room and shelves in it - yay!) had been moved in. However, we still couldn't really move any of our lab equipment in (and thus couldn't start working in the room) because the old - and by old I mean OLD - locks on the old doors were rusted from the inside out and thus couldn't be used anymore unless we wanted to lock the door and never be able to get it open again. So we have been waiting for new doors and new locks. And we also realized that we needed to put in a separate work order for the installation of phone lines and ethernet ports (I'm getting my own ethernet port!!!!! Amazing!!!!!!!!). In order to do that we had to search the rooms for if there already were any phone jacks or ethernet ports and detail their locations so they wouldn't install or move more than we needed.

This week it seems like a ton has occurred in the little rooms. The old doors came off and the new doors went in yesterday, and glass was installed in the door windows today. Also today the phone jacks and ethernet ports were moved, and we even got the phones I had to order Monday (yeah, when you ask the University to put in a new jack they don't bother telling you that you also need to order a phone to go with the jack...). The phones now work, although the University voice mail system isn't set up yet, so I had to make one more call about getting that to be worked out (this also isn't assumed when you request a new phone line...). Tomorrow the locksmith is coming, and so we should be good to go by the end of the week! !!!!! Hooray!!!!!

Can't wait to start moving things in...!

Tonight I'm headed to the Cheesecake Factory with the gals from my Bible study group. I hope I can stay awake. I'm awfully tired today, although I got a lot of sleep last night. Suppose Monday night's lack finally caught up with me.

No comments: