Tuesday, November 22, 2005

yipes, stripes

This week I've been working exclusively on The Sock (probably a bad idea...my wrists are beginning to hurt, which means I should work on something else and/or stop knitting for a while. Boo.) and it is nearly done! I have about half an inch left to knit (that's about one stripe with the yarn and gauge that I have) and then it's time to shape the toe and...then I'm done!! Yipee!

Last night, however, my ball of sock yarn got nearly completely all unballed. I realized this as I was getting into my car. I was getting into my car because I was awaiting the arrival of a person to change my tire since the same tire (it's a brand new tire, but it's on the same wheel) is now flat again. When the tire went flat (which occurred as I parked my car on the street just around the corner from my friends' home where I was going for dinner), I left it where it was and went to the house for dinner. I called for a tire change (it's included in my car warranty - I know it's not difficult to change a tire on my own, but it's way easier when someone else does it for you!) and ate a little dinner and then went back to the car. As I sat in the car I felt a tug and saw that there was yarn extending from my purse.

I looked back from whence I had come and saw, to my horror, that my thin yarn extended across the sidewalk, through two yards, into a bush, and around the street corner...

Thus began my effort to find where the ball now was, inform passers-by that they might get tripped by the yarn (I missed telling one runner, who DID get tripped up by the yarn...), and untangle the yarn from the branches of a large bush.

Wow.

I suppose you could say that I'm going through one of those streaks of bad luck, except I don't really believe in luck.

All I want now is for my tire to stay inflated until I get back to Kentwood and am with my parents and near tire stores whose reputations I know!!

Anyhow, here's a picture of the sock mid last week. It's much farther along now, but I have no digital camera.

Ooh, also today I am wearing the first sweater I ever knit. It's big and acrylic and purple. I think this is the first time I've actually worn it to somewhere that people know me...!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Have you ever read the Harlot's story in (I think) Knit Lit II? She tried to knit while ice skating, and, well ... you can imagine.

Love the socks. I bet they'd look good with your purple sweater! :)