Thursday, November 10, 2005

i need your help: desktop vs. laptop

With the predoctoral fellowship I received earlier this autumn, I have been allotted money for a computer. I purchased a new laptop computer two years ago and thus don't have an exceeding NEED for a new one, but it would be nice to not have to transport the lappy back and forth between work and home. So I'm considering using the money to get a new one.

On the one hand I'd like a second laptop. It would be newer, so it could conceivably replace the one I have now when (if is more like it, I hope) it goes caput. I could keep the second laptop at work and then bring it to the places on campus where I would use a laptop - for presentations, mostly. I suppose I could also use it in the library, but I never go to the library anyhow. One thing the new guy would have that the current laptop doesn't have is a built-in wireless internet connection. That would be useful for those trips to the library or for at a scientific meeting where they usually end up having free wireless. I would want it to be rather small to aid in portability.

But on the other hand, a desktop would allow me to get more for the money. Obviously it wouldn't be portable, but it could have more memory, be faster, potentially have a DVD burner... Not that I really have much need for that. But...it would be nice, right?

I'm way confused. I want to make a good selection that will last me for several years to come. However, perhaps my current laptop will last me for several years to come! I haven't had any issues with it yet (knock on wood).

Oh, the wondrous readers of my blog, though you be few and far between, what thinkest thou? I like Compaq computers - but have you had a great experience with another manufacturer? The University can buy me a Dell or a Gateway for cheaper than the average person would have to pay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So... I am not sure if you want any information. But: if you go for the lap top route make sure that it was a pentium 4 processor rather then the celeron... works faster. You can get CD/DVD burners in the lap top too, not just on a desktop. The wireless internet built into the laptop is really nice by the way. ALSO- if you are leaning towards a desktop: they make minitower hardrives. Which the "brain" of the comp is a lot smaller and compact... thus, occupyin less space and easier to move if needed. Oh why dont you ask your brother?!?

Anonymous said...

Rachelle's uncle is real high up in the HP company, but he only buys Dell because of their great customer service. . .so my advice, go for a Dell. . .I guess?!! Mmmm, I wish I had money allotted to me for a computer. . .not that I have any use for another one. . .hee hee hee. But yeah, you can get DVD burners in laptops too!