Monday, October 24, 2005

get a life

I admit it. I'm a Sims junkie. I don't know what it is about this game that makes it so incredibly addicting to me, but I totally love it. I attribute it, in part, to my love for writing, for creating imaginary lives. With the Sims, I can see these paper-lives come to...well, digital-life at least.

My current Sims "project" is a variation on the "legacy challenge" generated by other Sims fans. The original challenge was to start with a person, have that person live and marry and have kids, etc., and have that family continue for 10 generations. You get points for various accomplishments and lose points for letting bad things happen. I'm not so much into such competition, but I decided it would be fun to at least play the game without cheating. :-) It's very easy to give your struggling Sims some extra money with a few pushes of buttons, and money means a lot in Sim world, although not everything.

Thus far, I started Mr. Jimmy Sanders out. Okay, so actually I cheated to get him "started". I wanted him to have a college education because that allows for some extra career options and SHOULD have also given a few other nice perks, but of course my cheating backfired and the added perks didn't get added because I was using outdated cheating software. Anyhow, Jimmy thus is a messed up character who lives for fun. Sims can have one of 6 different aspirations. Jimmy's is "Pleasure" which entails things like...juggling...stargazing...playing video games...going dancing. But, since I cheated, his life-long aspiration, for which he receives a lot of happiness-points, is to reach the top of the Law Enforcement career path. Jimmy married a great lady named Mackenzie. She's got a great job - a Professional Party Guest. Yeah...realistic, right? Unfortunately, Mackenzie's life-long goal is to marry off 6 children. This means that Jimmy and Mackenzie need to HAVE 6 children, which is a lot of kids, especially when you aren't super-rich to start with, as is the case with this lovely couple.

Through many, many hours of playing, a couple game-crashes, and at least one program glitch, I've managed to get Jimmy and Mackenzie to turn out fairly happy, live in a 5-bedroom home, own a car, and have 5 of their 6 planned children. (It got too crazy after 5. They're going to wait for a while.) Right now the children are...

  • Adam - he's a teenager but will go to college in a matter of Sim-hours. Current aspiration = Knowledge.

  • Brittany - also a teenager. Aspiration = Family

  • Cara - teenager. Aspiration = Romance, which is my most disliked aspiration. I hope she changes it in college.

  • Cora - Cara's twin sister. She's a little slow... Aspiration = Family. And let me just say, when Cara and Cora were born, Brittany was still a toddler, and life was INSANE!!! As a real-life application, having 3 under-5-year-olds in a household is really NOT a good idea (I would guess).

  • Danielle - a child right now. Chidren's aspirations are just to grow up.


I know this is totally useless and boring for many of you, but...hey, it's my blog.

No comments: