Wednesday, September 07, 2005

the sky is falling!

Remember how the ceiling fell down in the new room at work? Well, it's occurred again, although in a different room. Yesterday my coworker Ming walked into room 440 and discovered ceiling tiles (which looked severely water-damaged) all over her virus-testing equipment!! NOT good. So, once again it's time for the facilities management people to take a look into what's going on in this old building.

It's funny, I complain so much about the old building I work in, the old house I live in, all this old stuff...but I LOVE old stuff! It drives me nuts when great old things get ripped down, particularly rapidly by we silly Americans. And our idea of "old" isn't more than a few hundred years - what about thousands-plus years old things in other parts of the world? Obviously, for those things to have become that old, somebody somewhere had to say "Okay, well, sure it could use replacing, but let's keep it another decade...and another...and another..." I have to admit, though...new can definitely be good. Perhaps buildings and other structures really were made better back in those "good ol' days." As the saying goes, "They don't make 'em like they used to!"

No comments: