Friday, September 02, 2005

lost in translation

My coworker Yue Chen just came back from China (where she was born) after a month working and vacationing there. She brought back everybody's favorite - Chinese candy!! It's always exciting to figure out what the candy will be since none of us can read Chinese.

One new specialty that returned to our lab this time was a big bag of tiny one centimeter beef jerky cubes. Very yummy - sugary and spicy. From this package comes today's funny for Friday.

Ingredients: BEEF, SUGAR, SALT, PERFUME..."perfume" is pretty funny; I'm sure it means something more like "flavoring," but that's still not the funny part..POTASSIUM SORBIC ACID, and finally (and since it's the last ingredient, I hope it's safe to assume that there's not much of it) THEREDSONGISRED.

Yes, that's right. The red song is red - all one word. ????? I'm guessing it's more properly translated "red coloring," but it certainly did not come out that way. My question is...WHY???

Can't complain too much - the jerky cubes taste great!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Strange. I just had a bag of the same type of candy bought for me from China. my pack lists "The Red Song Is Red" as well (that's how I found this blog). Do you know the answer to this now?