Tuesday, February 20, 2007

throw that into the ufo pile...

One of the projects I'm working on I don't have over on the sidebar. It's pink lace, and it's rather on a whim, so it's not going to get much press on this blog. (However, it is worth noting that I am speeding through this project much more quickly than, say...any of the other projects I have on the needles!) The entire project is made in three pieces, two of which get sewn together and the third of which is stand-alone. I know me, and I know that I've sewn plenty of half-pajamas: I have, for example, pajama bottoms in one fabric...and more of that fabric in a pile...and a pajama top in a separate fabric...and more of that fabric in a pile... So - because of this trend, I decided to make the first half of the two-piece part of the project, then make the stand-alone, and then finish up with the second half.

Each piece starts off with a picot edge created by an invisible cast on, a few rows of knitting and purling and yarning over and knitting two together, then folding over and purling the cast on and the active stitches together. I don't expect you to follow all of that, but basically it's a version of a tubular cast on. Anyhow, it's a little work, but it's not too tricky, and I know how to do this without looking at the directions. I started off Piece 3 sometime last week and sat down Sunday evening to finish off the creation of the picot edge...and somehow I ended up with completely the wrong number of stitches. Sometimes I would not care, but with this project, I want it to be PERFECT. So I tried to fix the mistake, but ended up having to rip it all off and cast on 115 new stitches. I made it all over again, and all was well, except...the second half of my picot edge was slanted to the side by one stitch, which probably related to the fact that I had two extra stitches at the end of that row... Ugh! Not cool. I gave up. What is this? I have already successfully created two pieces using this method with no problems... Bleh.

The yarn and the needles and the stitch markers I was uing got tossed into a pile and will be processed later. But not soon. Icko. ...And yet again, I have only half of a set finished... Sigh.

. and I forced myself to make them in an order that made piece 1 quite dependent upon the completion of piece

No comments: