Wednesday, March 22, 2006

i won!

Mwahahaha!! I have defeated the evil hole-in-the-ankle! And no, of course I didn't ask for help. I never do that. I'm determined to do everything myself and never make any knitting friends...

After posting yesterday I googled my short row heel with holes problem, and I noted a few good pieces of advice. Then I went home, tinked back to the site of the hole (it was 3 rounds or so...not too bad, but annoying enough), and through a strange combination of all the techniques I read, I managed to prevent the hole. Hooray!

I am still really confused as to why the first time there were no holes, then this time there were. I've got to figure it out sometime...

I forgot to mention yesterday that I managed to make a chunk of my yarn stash disappear over the weekend. Not by knitting with it, though. Saturday night I saw an acquaintance at church hobbling around on crutches. She is recovering from some sort of surgery on her ankle, and she told me she's incredibly immobile even a week after the procedure. I asked her what she did during the days, since she didn't seem to be at work, and she said she's never watched so many movies in her life. I suggested she learn to knit, and she told me she already knew how but she had used up all of her yarn. AHA!! I promised to get her some straight away.

That evening I dug around in my yarn stash and was amazed at what I found. I got inspiration for three garments and still managed to give away the equivalent of 2.5 skeins of Lamb's Pride Bulky (left over from last year's Fairly Easy Fair Isle cardigan), So Soft acrylic that I'd used to make the first sweater I ever designed (I obviously over-estimated the yardage sincer there were THREE extra balls!!), a ball of some funky textured yarn that had at one time been destined to be a bear-shaped dog toy until the intended recipient died, and the prize from the Holiday Gift Knitalong - Kid Silk Haze with a scarf pattern. I will probably get blasted by a few folks who think I'm crazy to give away that last yarn, but I had to be realistic...it would be forever and ever before I actually made something out of it, and I didn't know what that was going to be yet. I had swatched with it, so at least I know what it feels like.

Last night, after having pondered the remainder of my stash for the past couple days, I made a list of what I will make with what I have. That's really my favorite part of knitting, I must say. Making lists of what I dream of... I could do it every day, I think. ...Perhaps that's why I never get any actual knitting accomplished. If wishes were horses.

1 comment:

NorCalMrs said...

Hi there! Happened upon your blog and thought you might like my friend knit-whits blog. There is a link to her blog in mine.

From another Ruth!! :) Not many of us out there!!