Saturday, December 31, 2005

the wedding day

Oh! What a day!!

The day began with getting hair done with the other bridesmaids and women of the wedding...then it was over to the church to relax and prepare...then pictures...then THE WEDDING!!!!!...then the limo ride...then the reception. Loooooong day! Fun day! Emotional day!

I've often wondered why people cry at weddings. It's not sad, really. You could perhaps say that it's sad that the bride is "leaving" her family, but...she's not (at least not in most American weddings). Oftentimes the people getting married already live together, so it's not like it's sad that the gal is moving out of the house to join the groom's household. So there's nothing to cry about out of sadness that I can think of save that various deceased loved ones are not present. Yet people cry - I cry!! Why do I cry??

For example, today - I was full of delight and happiness, yet as I lined up in the back of the church to enter the sanctuary, all I could do was look at Amber, touch her arm and try to smile while fighting back tears. WHY??!?!?! I've decided that it's due to a rush of emotion. So much joy, so much excitement, so much that you want to say but don't have time or words to express... It comes out in a bawl full of tears.

I do wish that tears were more like hugs. With hugs, they can mean and say a lot, but you can at least still speak intelligible sentences. With tears, the meaning gets confused because tears can mean so many things (pain, woe, extreme amusement, etc.)...and you can't babble out anything to explain them.

Oh Amber and Dave, my tears for you are happy, excited, awed, wondering, reminiscent, and forward-dreaming tears. They form because I want the best for you both, and I am delighted by your love and commitment to one another, and I know how unpredictable life is (and that's a little scary when you are living it in marriage with someone else as you are...plus it's just difficult to accept because it means that change is inevitable), and I love the memories I have and what you have meant in my life.

And, my favorite Amber, I love you, too, and tears form because I fear that you or I will sometime forget that and the beautiful thing we have might be lost in the sands of time.

Tears do not become me, and tears are rare from me. So please, accept my tears as the greatest compliment and strongest expression of my love and dedication to you and your marriage.
dave, amber, and ruth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am blessed to have you as a friend and Dave and I were truly honored to have you as part of our day. The whole day seemed like a surreal state of bliss to me and it was so wonderful during the ceremony (I'm sure you caught me) to look at you, Adrian and Kristin and realize how wonderful my friends are and how lucky I am. I know my friends have helped shape me into the person that I am today and I cannot thank you enough for that. All my love, always.