Tuesday, December 06, 2005

the christmas countdown begins...

Friday night I decided I needed to get serious if I was ever going to have knitted Christmas presents ready "in time." There's a gift exchange that I'm shooting for having things done by on December 21, and when I looked at what I had to get finished by that day, I realized I would need to knit an average of one gift per day. I've given myself a couple "outs" - there is one knitter among the people I want to give a handmade gift to, and thus she could be delighted with a bit of yarn and some stitch markers, so there's a gift that requires less time (potentially) than knitting something. And then there are the guys. I'm not sure if any of them will at all like the gifts I knit for them, no matter WHAT I knit. So perhaps if I can't finish their gifts, I'll just buy them food. Guys like food, right?

Anyhow, Friday and Saturday and Sunday when I wasn't at church or playing hockey or wasting time playing with the Sims (I hadn't calculated the 1 gift per day thing, or I might have been a little less willing to visit with my Sims), I knit. Friday night I finished up a sock, a scarf, and a mini-sweater. Saturday I knit a scarf, and the rest of the weekend I worked on the poncho.

Good news arrived in my emailbox Monday morning: the new Knitty was published! That in and of itself is good news, but even better was that there were two new ideas for quick-knit gifts. And this is why the what-I-want-to-make-for-people list continues to mutate... (I also discovered an easy pattern for a very cute potholder in a book I own...also got added for a friend or two to receive...)

At least one of these patterns has now become a short-term goal to give to someone I don't know. Angie from my Bible study is coordinating our group's "adoption" of a family for Christmas through the Salvation Army. We get a list of what the family members are dreaming of and then fill their need with what we have. The mother of this family, a widow with three children ranging from pre-school through high school, wants...nothing. Simply that her children's Christmas wishes would be granted. I read that and immediately thought, "I'm making her something." I do hope that I can make something that expresses to this poor woman that she is a treasure and is highly favored by God, despite her dire circumstances. ...It's even enough to make me head over to the yarn shop tonight and splurge a bit for somebody (okay, let's be honest, and also to buy myself some sock yarn because I love that sock I made as a gift... But I would NOT have gone just for the sock yarn).

No comments: