Thursday, September 07, 2006

old stuff

The saga of my European trip continues...

What I did not mention (much) yesterday is that Lori and I were on a Cosmos tour. This Cosmos tour, to be precise. That meant we didn't need to find hotels or transportation or guides or many meals. I love convenience! Our tour group consisted of around 38 individuals, plus our Italian bus driver (because Italians are the best drivers), Donato (incidentally, also the name of my second most favorite pizza place), and our Slovenian tour director, Martina, who told us more details about the areas we visited than I could ever have enjoyed in high school history class. (That is to say, history was never my favorite subject growing up, but now that I'm older, I'm rather intrigued to find out how the events of yesteryear combine to produce what I see today.)

The good and bad thing about a bus tour is that the bus stops every two hours for a "comfort stop," a.k.a. legally required break for the driver in the guise of a chance to use the bathroom. The stops on this particular trip were actually quite well planned. For example, during our 7 hour trip between Munich and Prague, our first stop was in Nuremberg, Germany, where we not only had time to empty our bladder, we also got to explore the vicinity of this cute city. I indulged in the I guess famous "Lebkuchen," a very yummy gingerbread (although it has peanuts, of which I'm not a big fan in this context). And, I visited the grounds of a castle up on a big hill, which was built into rock. See!There were some really nice views from the wall around the castle garden, too, and this photo captures the mix of old and modern that was the theme of all the cities I would visit.But Nuremberg was simply a stop, and soon we were back on the bus headed to Prague!

No comments: