Monday, May 01, 2006

the flowers in my garden

I don't exactly have a garden, but when I moved into my present house, my mom ensured that I get some bulbs and other plants planted. It's quite a meager garden, if I can even venture to call it that. Every year it's an adventure to see what will return. For example, the second spring I lived in the house, I waited eagerly to see if the iris would return - the previous spring our neighbors weed-wacked it when they were trying (very kindly) to help us limit the out-of-control weed problem in that particular flower bed and they didn't notice that I was actually attempting to culture something that wasn't a weed. It didn't.

But...in the same flower bed, I still get these tulips.
they're leaning because they don't get enough sun. tough in the city.
Right next to the tulips is a huge pricker plant. I suppose I should dig that out someday soon.

Along the edge of the flowerbed are these little violets, which are weeds, really, but are so cute.On the side of the house along the driveway are the remnants of the daffodils that have come and gone, having bloomed right after the crocus made a very brief appearance (the week I was in Colorado, of course).There is also another tulip...
one is the loneliest number...
...and some grape hyacinth.I grow lots of this ground cover (weed???) without trying very hard......but what I'm super great at doing is getting these guys to sprout:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you plant the flowers that I sent you in the spring package?

ruth said...

Not yet. I am planning to put them and some other seeds in the tulip-bed when I take out that pricker plant, which has now grown quite large...like...larger than the tulip... I did, however, eat all the M&M's. :-)