Friday, July 01, 2005

dive, dive!

I'm learning how to scuba dive so that I can get certified and then be able to dive down in Mexico when I go to Cancun for vacation in November. The Mexico vacation is still not set in stone for November due to financial reasons, but I'm planning on it for now.

Yesterday was session 6 of 8 for scuba class. I am taking classes through the Coral Reef Dive Shop in Wexford, Pennsylvania, which is about a 30 minute drive from my home in Pittsburgh. I found out about the shop through my friend Courtney. She worked for several years as a divemaster in the British Virgin Islands. When she came back to Pittsburgh we met at church, which is just around the corner from the dive shop. She was working for Brian, who owns and runs the shop, when I met her.

We have classes on Mondays and Thursdays, and each class has 1.5 hours of classroom time, then about 1.5 hours of diving time at the pool at Pine Richland High School. This past Monday was the first time I felt like I sort of knew what I was doing when I started to go down as I entered the water - it was a great feeling! I'm definitely feeling more confident about diving thanks to Brian's skilled, patient instruction.

No comments: