Wednesday, June 29, 2005

askerd

I started a rock climbing class six weeks ago. It's a six week course, and so now it's over. Yesterday was the last class, and I have to say I had a terrible time. Not because the class was terrible. It was great! The instructor for the course, who also runs the rock climbing wall at Pitt, is very informative and entertaining and encouraging. I normally love the challenge of the rock wall and look forward to pressing my limits by attempting feebly to move up or over the wall. But yesterday I just didn't feel into it. I felt...afraid! I haven't felt afraid to do something that may endanger me physically in a long, long time - and I've NEVER been afraid that rock climbing would hurt me! I have much confidence in the cushiony floor beneath me, the rope that holds me up, and the belayer on the ground. It was a very odd feeling to be afraid to try. Very abnormal for me, who loves trying new things and doesn't mind answering a question wrong as long as I've tried. I think I just have to get back up on the wall and try. And perhaps a good fall that I survive from would also be useful.

No comments: