Monday, July 25, 2005

a good bias

I've finally selected something to wear for my friends' Jen's and Kevin's wedding in September!

I was originally planning to make a lovely outfit with a knit skirt, sewn blouse, and knit shrug to offset any late-summer ocean breezes on the Cape, but yarn manufacturers foiled my plans. Two colors of the yarn I selected for my skirt have been on backorder at every place I try to buy it from. Even if the yarn arrived on my doorstep today I hightly doubt I could get the skirt finished by September since I'm not a terrifically fast knitter.

So I have been contemplating something else to wear, and I've decided to dig out an old dress and make a shrug to go with it instead. I never, EVER wear dresses (in fact, when I wore said dress to church this weekend everyone asked me what the special occasion was...), so nobody will know that this dress is old. It's blue and flowy and I think will fit the ocean scene quite well. I need to think about shoes, though.

At any rate, the point of the post in my new knitting project, which is entitled "A Good Bias" and comes from the Spring 2005 issue of Interweave Knits, which is my favorite knitting magazine. I chose this project for this particular wedding outfit because it covers the back pretty well (my dress has no back), it has a lacy but not overly lacy pattern, and it seems like it will knit up really quick. The latter is the biggest reason I picked it...

I cast on with the knit-on cast on method (haven't done that before...not sure if I should have used it for this particular project, but I neglected to consult my cast-on-chooser reference book first) on Saturday night after buying some cheap Lion Cotton from Michaels (which I'll also probably use to make some dish cloths or something from my getting-married friends). So far, so good. It's a fun but simple pattern and is going quickly. Yay! I'm currently 8% of the way done.

Here's a picture of what it will look like when it's done, except mine will be white:

No comments: