Monday, January 22, 2007

a numbers game

It's interesting the way some numbers stick in my head and others totally don't.

Last Thursday was "CK Day" - don't even ask what it stands for, because that involves a long story. CK Day is the birthday of the guy I had a crush on throughout high school. I think I will probably think of January 18 with that title for many, many years to come. It is so ridiculous - why in the world should I recall the birthday of a guy who never so much as had a conversation with me ever and probably couldn't pick me out of a crowd, but I don't remember the birthday of a particular dear friend with whom I not only had long and meaningful conversations but also dated for a while?! That, Ruth, is a little bit ridiculous.

Speaking of ridiculous, I watched Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet on Friday night. The movie is not ridiculous (it is one of my all-time favorite movies!), but I was quite struck by how ridiculously quickly Romeo and Juliet fell in love and decided they should get married. Heck, the boy was kissing Juliet after having merely an intense exchanging of glances and about three minutes of flirting. That is really not grounds for falling in love, in my humble opinion. Of course, we all know that, but it struck me intensely on Friday night and reminded me the lesson I keep being taught: relationships, of any type, take time and work. Ugh. It would be so much easier if it happened quickly, but...then again, look at what happened to the poor star-crossed lovers... I guess that's not really the future I look forward to for my husband (whomever he might be) and I.

And, in case you're wondering, Amber - yes, I started yelling at Romeo and throwing popcorn at the screen as soon as he jumped in that car in Manchua... I hope my neighbors didn't hear me yelling the rest of the movie... ...Stupid, stupid guy... Maybe you should invest in a mailbox or something!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Invest in a mailbox" - that's a good one. That will definitely be the next line I scream during that movie!! : )