Tuesday, January 30, 2007

modeling

Rack another point up there for "unique experience in my life!" I love to collect experiences, and thus far the collection holds things like playing an alpenhorn, having my hand not-cut-off in a magic show, and being a movie extra. This weekend I added modeling to the list.

To raise awareness about the upcoming Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet Festival, the organizers put together a fashion show to highlight a number of the designers and vendors who will be represented at the Festival. When I heard the call for volunteers to "model" the garments to be displayed, I stepped up. What I didn't know was that in addition to wearing some sweet fibers (a silk and mohair twin set; a wool and angora sweater -- the softest thing EVER!) during a show emceed by a former Pittsburgh Steeler, I'd get the chance to wear some garments that were more art than clothing.

A nice man from Ohio, T.J. Horst is a high school art teacher and was inspired by felting in a course during his masters work. He quickly adapted, modified, and transformed the techniques he was introduced to in the classroom into his own style of fusing wool together to form garments! He now has a line of women's fashion and has pieces on display at various museums. He and his work were featured during the second half of the fashion show, and I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to participate - and that meant I got to wear some pieces that Horst himself stated he would never sell. I had never really thought about clothing in that way - as purely a work of art.

Most of the pieces Horst brought along (in the trunk of his Chevy Cavalier, incidentally) would fit just about anyone - they tie on, and the felt flexes to adjust to the wearer's body for the most part. I wore I think three pieces. The person taking photos for me didn't really get many of me, but nevertheless, browse...I'll also make a social comment about models in general. You know the stereotype of female runway models - tall, anorexic, gaunt. I thought about this while dressing and undressing with the two actual models that Horst brought along (one is his wife!). These ladies were as tall as me but probably weighed about 50 pounds less and worse about 10 pants sizes smaller (woah...that makes me feel really fat, which I'm not!). But as I thought about it, I realized that I could never look like them, unless someone went in and restructured all of my bones, replaced my entire pelvis, and shrunk my organs. The way their bodies are put together is completely different than mine! I thought to myself..."Modeling is what they would be really good at! They're made for it!"

...Now...with my big hips and healthy body, I'd venture to guess I'm made for having kids. ...Can we get to that part of life soon, please? :-)

No comments: