Friday, October 06, 2006

the sick bunny

After Joelle's visit to the vet on Tuesday, I decided to cut off her hair because that's just one more thing to deal with, she doesn't particularly enjoy being brushed, and she's already way stressed out. Poor, bald bunny. She looks funny but still feels so soft!

When we arrived at the vet yesterday the first abscess had scabbed over and was reabscessing. The vet said the second one was actually an extension of the first one. So, what to do? Well, the abscess has to be either 1) removed surgically, which would require dismantling Joelle's face or 2) cut open and not allowed to close for several days, during which the abscess area will be flushed out, plus continuing antibiotic care. The vet said option 1 wasn't really an option at this point, so I went with option 2, which means that the bun actually goes home with the vet (because the vet only works at the clinic 2 days a week and the rest of the vets at the clinic know nothing about bunnies) and gets anesthetized every day for her abscess treatments.

It's kind of nice that I don't have to give Joelle her medicine or do the treatments myself, but it's kind of sad that I can't see her and that she has to be somewhere else, which might be really scary for her - and which costs much money. It's not about money, though. That I magically have and am willing to give much of to cure Joelle. I just hope she gets cured...and doesn't die. The daily anesthesia frightens me. So far she's been through at least two sessions of anesthesia - her spaying surgery at the Humane Society and her first abscess treatment - and done very well, but every time it's a little scary.

Time will tell. Oh, time. It is both a friend and a foe...

At least I will be able to get some much-needed rest this weekend!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Oh, Ruth! I've been catching up on blogs, and am so sorry to hear about poor Joelle.

Abscesses are one of the things I've worried about with our Pig ... so far there's no sign of one, but I'm keeping an eagle eye on her. I hope Joelle gets better soon, and that the treatment does its job.

Poor bun. I'll be thinking of her.