Friday, October 13, 2006

a lesson in knitting

Let's talk about something I like. Not bunnies being sick. Not vacuum cleaners mysteriously revolting against vacuuming. Not even lack of sleep.

Let's talk about KNITTING!!!

I've been knitting for several years now. I learned how to knit in the fall of 2003 and quickly decided I would be a Continental knitter. To those of you familiar with knitting, you know that Continental (or German) knitting is just one of many, many ways to "correctly" do the same thing. The other popular way to knit is English (aka American). I learned how to do this way back in day but abandoned it for the Continental method because Continental is supposed to be better for the sustainability of hands and wrists and is faster according to many people.

/push-for-continental-knitting

Fast-forward to now: I knit most every day. Most of my friends and colleagues are aware of this hobby/obsession. I tell everyone who exclaims, "Wow, that's so cool!" that they, too, can learn how to knit - it's easy. Most don't believe me. Finally, I realized I would have to prove it to them*. Thus, I'm hosting a "Knitting Party" whose primary purpose is to instruct my friends in the fine art of knitting.

Sounds simple enough. I obviously know how to knit. But a funny thing happened Tuesday night**...

I was sitting in the middle of my living room with huge size 17 needles and bulky yarn, practicing how I would show everyone how to go about knitting (Joelle was pretty sure I was trying to teach her, because I sat facing her. She was not very enthused, perhaps because she's a rabbit, but also perhaps because she had just arrived back from the vet's a few hours ago and was feeling rotten and rather sulky). I got through the casting on part just fine. Then I went to instruct my imaginary pupils how to do the knit stitch. I have decided that I will teach people the English method first, since for some reason it seems like a lot of people use this method, so I began.

I had to cheat a little because it's been a long time since I've actually attempted to use English for anything other than colorwork, so I was glancing down at trusty Vogue Knitting. I decided that one of the main reasons I don't use English is because I don't know how to hold the yarn so my stitches come out evenly. So I dug out a few other books to see how they said to hold the yarn. Of course, that didn't exactly help because each book had a different way, and some showed SIX different ways. Just like Continental vs. English, holding yarn is just different ways of doing the same thing.

I got through my row of knitting slowly but surely, and then realized I should probably figure out how to instruct left-handed people how to do the English technique. However, although I followed the instructions very specifically, I had some very large issues. I had to dig through more books to see what I was doing wrong. In the course of this, I stumbled upon a paragraph in Montse Stanley's The Handknitter's Handbook that stung - her description of what she calls "Yarn or needle" knitting: "A method often betraying a knitter who has learnt from books, or one who could not cope with needle as pen... It is the slowest, most awkward, most tiring, and least even way of knitting. Very little control over the work is maintained." Ooch! Now, I can deal with being non-conformist or having semi-different techniques and styles than others, but to be considered incompetent - that I am not okay with. I concluded that if I were to teach people something, I should at least know how to properly do it and not drag them into stupid-looking-ness with me.

And I concluded that, although they say you can't "knit wrong" - I was!

Thus began a rather insightful re-education about English knitting. I learned how the yarn tension is controlled - it's different than with Continental, which is probably why I was having so many issues with the yarn-holding. I learned how stitches are gently slipped onto needles, not wildly flung on with sweeping motions (which is what I invariably associate with English). I learned that English knitting doesn't have to be as slow or clumsy as I once thought, and that color work can be much, much easier and enjoyable if English is done properly! I learned that English knitting is not that bad!!!

Now, will I switch to English? Certainly not. But I sure will practice it so I can be at least fairly adept at it. If nothing else, it would be nice to be able to switch back and forth to prevent wrist fatigue or injury. And, the benefits for colorwork - I just can't get over it! I can't wait to try out my new skill on something with two colors!!

I guess it's a good reminder that the best teachers (not that I'm saying I am the best teacher!!) are always learning more about their subject. ...Perhaps after I master English I'll try to learn how to knit back backwards...

I love knitting...!

----------
*If you happen to see the irony in this attitude in light of my inability to perform English knitting, I applaud you.
**Yes, that was Sleepless Night; I decided to do something useful with my not-falling-asleep state of mind.

No comments: