Tuesday, August 01, 2006

homebody

I'm still in the process of unpacking my belongings and finding places to put new belongings that I am acquiring that weren't claimed by any of the four of us who lived in the old house, and actually that hasn't left me much time to be at my new home. However, last night I finally said goodbye to the old landlord, loaded up my car one last time with the rest of the stuff from the house, and set to work attempting to enjoy my new place. I felt so domestic, because I...

baked bread in my bread machine!
and it tastes good!
...and I vacuumed with the new vacuum I had to buy because of a Long, Bad, Aggravating Story!
it's little, it's green, and it weighs less than 12 pounds
...and I - well, I didn't actually knit last night, but I have been knitting my sock on the bus!
it feels a little funny
This is the Retro Rib Sock from Interweave Knits, and it is sure taking me a long time, but I like it. It even fits, so far. The bad update about this sock is I just had to join a new skein of yarn. Note that the sock is not finished yet. Also note that I only bought two skeins of the yarn when I purchased it last summer from the yarn store that closed. Uh oh...! I really had told myself I should make a toe-up sock so I wouldn't run out of yarn, but I really like this pattern and already had to change a lot of the figures because the Wildfoote yarn is a lot thinner than the yarn the pattern calls for. Not the best idea.

I weighed my current options and decided to just buy another skein. It would have been great if I could have matched dye-lots, but when I learned that Paradise Fibersactually had a skein of my Little Lilac and would send it to me for a small sum of money, I did it. Why? Because Wildfoote is made by Brown Sheep, and I once had to wait several months to get my Brown Sheep yarn. I do not want to wait a few months to get this yarn. Although...in all honesty, it may take me a few months to get to where I need that third skein... Nah, I bet I'll get pretty far on it if I take it with me to Europe. See all the thought that goes into these little decisions?

And...so that's what I've been doing at home! Of other interest, yesterday I also decided to burn some candles, because I never do and it's stupid that I have so many that just sit around. I learned why you shouldn't put a candle on a shelf, because I made a really beautiful dark brown singe spot on the shelf -- just below where Sheamus's tank is!!! Oops. You'd think I'd be a little smarter than that. Wonders never cease.

No comments: