Saturday, July 08, 2006

where i've been -- part i

After a flurry of activity in the lab (meaning...a week of 12+ hour days), I hightailed it west to Raccoon Creek State Park for a Fourth of July weekend of camping with my 80% family (that is...Mom, Dad and brother. Sister is too far, being a West-coaster/Alaskan now - boo hoo.)Actually, I went back to the lab on Sunday evening and Monday morning because sadly science experiments don't have pause buttons and often take five consecutive days to complete and must be started on a certain day. Maybe that's just a workaholic excuse. Not sure.Regardless, it worked out because Jon (brother) arrived on Sunday afternoon and then slept in the tent I'd stayed in the night before...and then he left on Monday evening and I slept in that tent again, and we didn't need to have a third tent up (although Jon had already set up his third tent before he made the decision to leave on Monday...but that's just details.) Long story short, Jon made perhaps the wisest decision of the entire trip by leaving on Monday instead of staying around for Tuesday morning to head back home. On Monday night it started raining. This was sometime around 1:30a.m., which was also the time I woke up I assume in response to the loud music our camping neighbors were playing. I thought the rain would shut their music and them up, but it wasn't terribly effective. I managed to get to sleep for another few hours. At 4:30a.m. I awoke again, and it was still pouring rain -- and the neighbors were STILL AWAKE and talking in loud voices and playing music. I was treated to their discovery that raccoons were eating the hotdogs they had left on the picnic table. Their response was to yell swear words at the raccoons and eventually run outside screaming and calling them cuss names while chasing the stubborn creatures away.

Obviously I did not have a great night's sleep, and when I finally woke up for real in the morning it was STILL raining, and that meant we had to pack up the campsite all wet. Never fun. But rather funny - because then Mom, Dad, and I had to find somewhere semi-dry to sort out the items because Dad was returning home to Michigan but Mom and I were heading back to Pittsburgh and yet needed to take some camping supplies with us. Once it was all said and done, the two cars were properly packed, everyone drove home in the rain (except it wasn't raining in Michigan...it hasn't rained there in forever), and then Mom and I set up the wet tent in the dining room of my new apartment so it could dry out and not get all moldy just sitting in the car.

It was very nice to be back somewhere dry...and quiet...

The trip was by no means awful, though. In addition to kayaking, swimming, and visiting around the campfire, we went for a hike to the lovely mineral springs.
there's mom - what a big cave!!
Crisp, cool waterand a beautiful walk.

No comments: