Saturday, July 22, 2006

want vs. need

Someone I know, who is not a native English speaker, has caused me to note the very distinct difference between "want" and "need" and the fact that they are so often confused. This particular person, let's call it "he", has never used the word "want" in any conversation that I can recall. Instead, every place where I think he would say "want," he says "need."

I have an extra candy bar - do you need it? Those two need to get married. Do you need to tour Europe? Do you need to go to the concert?

It's amazing how this simple misuse of the word has caused me much confusion. How, for example, shoud you respond if someone asks you if you need to go have ice cream? I can think of very few, if any, situations in which ice cream would ever be a necessity...there are, however, many times that I would say I NEED ice cream. But the reality of the situation is, it's not required for my survival (by any stretch of the imagination).

The use of "need" instead of "want" is rather amusing, but it causes me to pause and consider how much I think I need and how much I actually just want.

No comments: