Wednesday, April 02, 2008

countdown

I am in the final stages of preparation for my PhD dissertation defense on Friday. My main concerns are that
  • I won't be able to come up with decent answers to questions people, especially my committee members, ask
  • My committee will not pass me and will make me do more work
  • There will not be enough room in the room in which I'll be presenting for everyone to fit. A lot of people have been saying they'll come, and I couldn't get the larger room that I had hoped for. But at least it's bigger than the one that the one administrative assistant kept telling me would be fine -- it seats about 30 people and contains a seating area with comfortable couches as well as a kitchen area. Apparently she's never been to a dissertation defense, because at least twice that many people generally seem to show and it's entirely unprofessional to give the biggest talk of my life in a room that looks like a living room and includes a food-preparation station!
I'll try to let you all know how it turns out. I have other news, too (it's not too exciting, just amusing), but I am rather focused on something else right now. Thanks for bearing with me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking about you and wishing you well!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You will do fine! I'm sure! I'll wish you well too though if it helps!