Friday, March 07, 2008

changes, changes

I'm still here. Nothing hugely new to report on -- there was the temporary loss of my computer's functionality (and potentially my entire dissertation), but that got resolved rapidly when what was first diagnosed as a motherboard frying turned out just to be an overheating of the...some computer part that caused the whole machine to shut down and refuse to turn on.

I met with a mentor of mine on Tuesday, and we got to talking about politics. She and I are both life-long independents, I think because we can't wholly agree with any party (or any other sort of "institution," for that matter...). However, she shocked me by saying that in the heat of all this too-close-to-call of the Democratic presidential candidacy race she made the decision to register as something so that she can participate in the primary in April. If she can do it...so can I! At least for the primary season (is that bad? ...is that legal?). And so, assuming the voting people have processed my request, I am not an official party member. Don't count on that change lasting, though, folks! But, you never know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, it's not illegal. (Well at least not in Washington). It's the only way independents get to have a voice in the caucus process (which I think is bogus by the way) and the affliation doesn't follow you around for life either. Just for the caucus process. It basically means that if you participate in a democratic caucus you are NOT allowed to participate in the republican caucus and that's why they need the declaration.

I hope that the people of Pennsylvania see through the mess that is happening out there and make well informed, educated decisions. Whatever they may be.

If you've never participated in the caucus process before - it's actually pretty neat. I hope you enjoy it. Dave and I are both delegates for our upcoming legislative and county caucuses. We're looking forward to it.

Get out and vote and encourage everyone else you can to do the same : ) Yes we can ; )